Friday, January 10, 2014

Getting started with phonegap on Mac OS X Mavericks

After fiddling around in the command line for hours, messing around with ant, cordova and android installations and configurations, I decided -- on the recommendation of a classmate -- just suck it up and install Eclipse. I feel like I'm really using my developer skills more by working in the command line, but sometimes you just have to do what will give you the most quality product in the shortest amount of time. 

Eclipse is an IDE that is specifically for mobile development and includes emulators and so on. It also includes a bunch of tutorials to help you get started. I thought it would be a huge hassle to use because the last I knew, there was only a windows version. Apparently, there is now an OS X version too. It was a huge download, but after my install was complete, I had the first one up and running within minutes. Woo! 

Here are some other resources you may need or find helpful: 

Phonegap Docs. The docs include tutorials. 

A pretty decent tutorial that is up to date. I found a lot of them are old and outdated. 

Adobe Phonegap Build. This is helpful to do several different platform builds remotely off your github repo. Keep in mind though, that if you want to try to do an iOS build, you have to pay $99 for the iOS developer key in order for that build to work. Phonegap is really used more for mobile development other than iOS, so if you're doing iOS, you might want to just stick with xcode. 

I Hope this was helpful! Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment